Wednesday, April 13, 2011

~~~*:Now and Then:*~~~ 'As we grow older, it becomes difficult to just believe.'


When I was younger, one of the movies I was consumed by was


It was the perfect "coming of age" movie.
The movie follows the lives of four twelve year old girls during the summer of 1970.

Teeny
Roberta
Samantha
&
Chrissy

'In every woman there is the girl she left behind.'


I was going to write all about the message it sent and the lessons it taught but I figured i would just keep it simple by including some quotes from the movie that sort of speak for themselves.

Samantha: When you're 12, without effort, you live in the moment. You don't regret the past or worry about the future, and in that moment, Teeny filled my heart with hope and comfort. 


Vietnam Veteran: I'm going to tell you something i wish someone would have told me when I was your age.
Chrissy: Oh yeah? What's that?
Vietnam Veteran: Your parents aren't always right.
Samantha: No shit. 


Scott: Roberta?
Roberta: What?
Scott: Why do you think we fight all the time?
Roberta: Just something to do, I guess. Why?
Scott: 'Cause... 'cause I think you are a real nice girl.
Roberta: I always thought you hated me.
Scott: So did I... 


Chrissy: I say we make a pact. Here and now. We're here for each other, always, no matter what happens in life. If Teeny goes off to Hollywood or I marry a rich doctor, we remember this day and this pact. Whenever we need a friend, we're here for each other. We can count on it. Always. No matter what.
Young Samantha Albertson: It's a pact.
Chrissy: All for one...
ChrissyTeenyRobertaYoung Samantha Albertson: And one for all. 


On top of making you cherish your youth and girlfriends, I think the era (1970) definitely made an impact on me. Ever since watching this movie, I have wished that I grew up in the 70s.

Kids had so much more freedom to learn on their own.
There wasn't nearly as much interest in televisionvideo games & the internet.
Kids got out of the house and had adventures with each other
Adult went out and spent time with each other in person.

Sometimes I feel like technology controls my life.

BUT 

To end on a lighter note:

If you have never experienced this movie, please go out and rent it.
AND if you have,
go out and get the soundtrack.

It is excellent.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis